fieldtrip to sequoia & king's canyon national park, california
STAY: We stayed at Princess Campground this time, but my all-time favorite place to stay in the area is Lodgepole Campground.
Took a one-night fieldtrip to Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Park, a much-needed retreat! Highlight: I saw my first shooting stars! One especially bright one with a long tail flew through the constellation, Cygnus, as we were gazing at the Milky Way galaxy. 🌌
Take your own fieldtrip to see the redwoods with the full itinerary...
SATURDAY (Kings Canyon National Park)
7 A.M. - Depart Home for Princess Campground
1 pit stop/snack break
Approx. 5h drive
12:00 P.M. - Arrive at Princess Campground
Set up camp and eat lunch*
1:30 P.M. - Depart Princess Campground for Kings Canyon National Park
Approx. 40 min. drive
2:10 P.M. - Visitors Center / Gift Shop / Bathroom
30 min stop
3:40 P.M. - Hike Zumwalt Meadow to Roaring River Falls
4.1 mi , Easy, Loop, ~ 3h
Take a dip in the river if it's not dangerous!
6:40 P.M. - Depart Kings Canyon National Park for Princess Campground
~40 min. drive
7:20 P.M. - Cook dinner*
LOOK UP TIME - Watch the sunset
EVENING - Smores/Star-gazing
SUNDAY (Sequoia National Park)
LOOK UP TIME - Sunrise at Princess Campground Meadow (for whoever wants to see)
7:30 a.m. - Breakfast / Make sandwich lunch / Pack up!
9:00 a.m. - Depart Princess Campground for Sequoia National Park
Approx. 1 hour drive
10:00 a.m. - Sequoia National Park Lodgepole Visitors Center
~20 min for souvenirs!
10:20 a.m. - General Sherman Tree Hike
V popular, easy
1 mi, ~30 min
11:00 p.m. - Moro Rock Trail
0.4 mi / Moderate / Out + Back / 45 min
Eat lunch at the top for a scenic view
12:20 p.m. - Depart Sequoia National Park for Home
ADDITIONAL HIKES (if you have more time)
- Tokopah Falls (3.7 mi/easy) - SO BEAUTIFUL! One of my favorite hikes here
- Crystal Cave (0.8 mi/moderate) - Well worth the tour if you’ve never experienced the wonders of a cave, but must buy tickets in advance at Foothill or Lodgepole Visitor Center. $18/person
- Crescent Meadow Loop (1.2 mi/easy)
- Lunch (both days): Turkey sandwiches, PB&J
Dinner: Aidell’s sausages, veggie kabobs, corn on the cob
Highly recommend adding peanut butter to smores for fluffernutter-ness
- Weekends during summer, Moro Rock Rd. is closed to private vehicles. You’ll want to park at Giant Forest Museum and take the shuttle directly from there. If that lot is filled, park at General Sherman Tree, then take the shuttle from there.
- Buy tickets in advance at Foothill or Lodgepole Visitor Center to see Crytal Cave. $18/person
xo from catie